Please join like-minded “global thinkers” for a lively monthly discussion on the major political/economic issues that our world is currently experiencing.
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Climate Change/Global Warming – we know the problem, but what are the potential solutions?
Climate Change/Global Warming has been called an “existential threat” that must be addressed. The question is how? We are increasingly aware of the symptoms – the list is endless. Yet, the solutions are varied and complex. Fossil fuels represent only 25% of the contribution to greenhouse gasses. What about the other 75%? In a global sense, if cows were a country, they would be the third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases (methane). What about the impact of manufacturing – plastic, steel, and cement? Cement production releases huge quantities of carbon dioxide. There are dire implications for the world’s people, especially for those in less developed countries, and those most impacted by drought and changing weather patterns like monsoons or intense weather phenomena. Among the world’s poor, who will have access to air conditioning, potable water, and drought-resistant seeds? We need to reconsider how we make things, grow food, and move people and goods. What are your ideas? As members of a global community, what should be our priorities in the next decade?